Time’s up. Turn in your answer sheets and let’s see if you answered enough questions correctly to earn your Avengers ID.
(c) Captain America joined the group in issue 4.
2. What villain brought the Avengers together?
(a) Thor’s brother Loki, just like in the movie.
3. Who came up with the name ‘The Avengers’ ?
(d) The Wasp
4. How long did HULK stay with The Avengers?
(a) HULK left the team at the end of the second issue. He’s only ever appeared as a guest star since.
5. What has not been a costumed identity for Henry Pym?
(g) The Hornet. Hank has identity issues.
6. Odin is to Thor as _______ is to Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch.
Magneto, arch enemy and sometime ally of the X-Men, is the father of Pietro and Wanda.
7. Which member of the Fantastic Four is not also an Avenger?
(c) The Human Torch. And yes, it hurts Johnny’s feelings.
9. Which member of the Defenders is not also an Avenger?
(c) Silver Surfer
10. Which member of the Justice League is not also an Avenger?
People, people, people. The Justice League is published by a different company.
11. True/False: Spider-Man is an Avenger.
True. I was at a movie theater recently and this came up and Screenvision or whatever service it was claimed otherwise. Don’t believe everything you read on movie screens before the feature starts.
12. Who is The Avengers’ butler?
(b) Edwin Jarvis, who is not a computer program in the comics.
13. Which Hulk has not been an Avenger?
(d) Red She-Hulk, aka Betty Ross. Yes, HULK history has gotten ridiculous in recent years.
14. The Vision is…
(d) Vision is a synthezoid, human in form and function but made of synthetic parts. I don’t understand it either but I’m not a scientist like Hank Pym.
15. Who first uttered the battle cry “Avengers Assemble” ?
(a) Thor, in issue 10.
16. Which Avenger has not had sex with Hawkeye?
This is complicated. A couple years back the Scarlet Witch went crazy and killed Hawkeye, then resurrected him, then killed him again, then resurrected him again, then disappeared. After the second resurrection Clint was pretty messed up in the head and went to find Wanda. He found her in a small village in Eastern Europe where she had no memory of her past and believed she’d been living there all her life. They have sex. Clint leaves in the morning.
Recently we were told that Dr. Doom found Wanda in the small village and took her back to Latveria with him and left a Wanda-replica-Doombot (that’s a robot built by Dr. Doom) in her place. The unanswered question is this: Did Doom replace Wanda with the robot before or after the encounter with Hawkeye? Only Wanda knows for certain and she hasn’t said anything yet.
I will say this: If Dr. Doom can build a robot capable of fooling a player like Hawkeye that it’s a real woman, then Dr. Doom shouldn’t be nearly as grumpy as he’s usually portrayed.
So at this point the safe answer to the question would be She-Hulk.
17. Which Avengers villain suffers from a serious Oedipal Complex?
(b) Ultron, a robot built by Dr. Pym. He became self-aware and turned on his “father” and has a thing for The Wasp, his “mother.”
18. Loki is to Thor as __________ is to Wonder Man.
The Grim Reaper is Wonder Man’s brother. Note: Wonder Man is not related to Wonder Woman.
(b) The Circus of Crime
20. S.H.I.E.L.D. stands for:
(a) Supreme Headquarters, International Espionage, Law-Enforcement Division (b) Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistics Directorate (c) Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division (d) all of the above (e) none of the above
All of the above. (a) is the original name, it was changed to (b) in the ’90s and (c) is the movie acronym.
15-10: Maybe you should take some classes at Avengers Academy
9-5: It’s all takin’ and no givin’
4-0: D-Man could’ve done better